When it comes to scholarships, specially fully funded, there are a lot of questions everyone has in mind. So, here I am going to answer some of the most frequently asked ones about the Global UGRAD Semester Exchange Program.
I do recommend reading the: Introduction to Global UGRAD. too.
Q No.1: When and how to apply? Students of which degree/discipline/major can apply? Can MBBS’ students apply?
The Global UGRAD applications open every year in Oct/Nov. To apply you have to fill an online application form which will be available in Oct/Nov 2017 for the 2018-2019 intake. The application form asks for your educational background, achievements, community services and a personal statement. That’s pretty much all that you need to apply for this program.
Students of all the disciplines can apply. There is no segregation regarding that. You may or may not lose a year or semester depending upon your university because of your exchange semester in USA. You may freeze your semester, go for the exchange program, come back and resume your degree here.
For better understanding of your university’s policy regarding Global UGRAD, you can always ask an alumnus of UGRAD from your university.
Q No. 2: What are the timelines of UGRAD’s Semesters and can we choose between fall and spring?
No, you cannot choose the semester. If you are selected for the Fall semester you will go in the Fall and same goes for Spring. The Fall grantees travel to US in the start of August and return in late December. The Spring grantees travel in start of January and return in late May.
Q No. 3: What is the selection criteria for UGRAD? How much GPA is required?
There is no GPA requirement neither any segregation with respect to your field of study. The student should not be in his first or last year of degree at the time of application. So, in a 4 years degree program you can apply if you are in second or third year of your degree at the time of application. Following is the general eligibility criteria.
- Pakistani citizens
- 25 years or younger
- Currently enrolled in a college or university and committed to returning to their home universities following the completion of the program.
- Strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities
- Serious interest in learning about the United States
- High level of academic achievement, as indicated in grades, awards and reference letters
- Proficiency in English
- Students from diverse backgrounds, especially those students who have not previously had opportunities to travel internationally are encouraged to apply.
Q No. 4: What are the documents we need to prepare before applying?
You just need your academic transcripts, a personal statement and scanned certificates of your extracurricular and co-curricular activities/achievements.
Q No. 5: How to write a cool Personal Statement?
No doubt that the most difficult thing to apply for this program is the Personal Statement. Well, that one is covered here: How to write a Global UGRAD Personal Statement
Q No. 6: What are the major benefits of this program?
There are so many benefits and they differ from person to person regarding their own experience in United States. Some of the most prominent and common benefits include:
- It is a fully funded program. Your travel, stay, fees, food, monthly expenses etc. are all covered. You will not have to spend a single penny from your pocket to go on this exchange program.
- You will study a full semester and get to see the American education system. You can choose your favorite subjects taught by great professors in the universities.
- You will get to travel abroad and be able to observe and live in a much developed country having one of the best multi cultural environments in their universities. Their will be so much automatic learning which will help you through out your life.
- You will get to know about the uncountable opportunities available out there in the world for you, which you may never get to know here.
- You will be much prepared to continue your studies abroad, later in your life.
- There will be an amazing boost in your personality and confidence and that’s gonna help you in your coming years.
- You will get to see wonderful places and enjoy the company of great people. You will make amazing friends not only from Pakistan but from all over the world.
Q No. 7: Can I apply if I have a 2 years Bachelor’s and 2 Years Master’s Degree Program? Am I eligible to apply if I am in second year of 2 years’ Bachelor’s or first year of 2 years’ Master’s?
Yes, you can apply if you in you are in 14th and 15th year of your formal education i.e. second year of Bachelor’s or first year of Master’s.
In a nut shell, there are so many benefits of attending this program and it’ll be a lifetime experience and there won’t be a single alumnus who’ll recommend you to not avail this opportunity, if selected.
I’ll keep adding more questions as students will ask. Join our Facebook community for guidance and updates.
Facebook Page: Exchange Students Pakistan
Facebook Group: Global UGRAD Guidance Forum